Story   Photographer   Editor   Student/Intern   Assistant   Job/Item

 Front Page
 Member Index
 Latest Headlines
 Special Features
 'Fun Pix'
 Message Board
 Educate Yourself
 Equipment Profiles
 Classified Ads
 Monthly Clip Contest
 Annual Contest
 Current Issue
 Back Issues
 Members Area
 "The Guide"
About Us:
 About SportsShooter
 Contact Us
 Terms & Conditions

Sign in:
Members log in here with your user name and password to access the your admin page and other special features.



|| News Item: Posted 2005-09-06

Intern Diaries: Cape Cod Times
'Remote cameras have always intrigued me and I have always wanted to make a time-lapse movie.'

By Elisha Page, Cape Cod Times

Photo by Elisha Page / Cape Cod Times

Photo by Elisha Page / Cape Cod Times

The first wave of more then 9,500 runners leave the starting line of the 33rd running of the Falmouth Road Race on Water St. in Woods Hole. Course record holder, Gilbert Okari of Kenya, won the 7.1 mile race in 31:59.0.
Here I am in the last week of my internship on beautiful Cape Cod looking at back at the summer, which I feel like just started. First of all I am honored to be here. I grew up on the Cape and worked at a competing weekly through high school. I've read the Cape Cod Times as far back as I can remember, and have always looked up to the photographers and aspired to work here. After applying two times and being rejected, either I actually improved or they felt bad and couldn't say no a third time.

I've had several interesting assignments this summer and have had a lot of fun. The weirdest assignment was one I found myself and suggested as a food story that ended up on A1 on a slow news day.

Working the evening shift I photographed a lot of Cape League baseball this summer. After purchasing a ticket for cheeseburger at the concession stand the gentleman making the burgers asked if I would like to upgrade to the sinker series or their premiere sinker burger, the "Hurler". He describes the Hurler as a 4oz USDA Prime all beef patty gently cradled in the heart of a jelly doughnut and decadently topped in 1 oz of the finest canned spray cheese on the market.

Although I declined the hurler in favor of a traditional one I did mention it in the office the next day. The following week I was assigned with a reporter to photograph it and get peoples reaction. More then 260 of the doughnut concoctions have been sold in the past two seasons and many come back week after week.

While the reporter was able to stomach half of one I decided to play it safe and go for the right field sinker, a plain cheeseburger served on a cinnamon doughnut without the canned cheese. It really wasn't as bad as I expected, he claimed the same but said the canned cheese pushed it over the edge for him.

Photo by Elisha Page / Cape Cod Times

Photo by Elisha Page / Cape Cod Times

Jack O'Rourke, 9, of CT dives into the water one last times as the sun sets over West Falmouth Harbor.
My biggest and most challenging assignment of the summer was the Falmouth Road Race. More then 9,500 runners race from the Captain Kidd bar in Woods Hole along the ocean to the site of the Brothers Four Bar in Falmouth Heights. Having covered the race in high school I wanted to do something different. Remote cameras have always intrigued me and I have always wanted to make a time-lapse movie.

After reading the message boards I was ready to try my hand at it. It took quite a bit of planning from finding someone to loan me an AC adapter for a D2H (thank you Mike Rosenzweig for loaning it to a complete stranger) to learning Final Cut Pro and securing a location for the camera. I wanted to capture race day from sunrise to the end of the race and breaking down.

I scouted the location and decided on a second floor balcony of some condos under construction, overlooking the finish line. I would have preferred a location farther up the hill, showing more of the field at the end but couldn't find a suitable spot. I convinced the construction foreman to let me put the camera there early on race day and he said he would notify the security guards, only problem is there is no electricity available to plug in the AC adapter.

Five AM on race day arrives, I let myself in and start setting up the camera and tripod and programming the built in intervalometer; I ended up using a car battery connected to a power inverter to power the AC adapter connected to the camera all because I wasn't sure how long the D2H battery would last. As I am leaving an older man demands to know what I am doing.

I ask if he is the security guard and try to explain what I am doing and assure him I have permission to be there. After talking to his supervisor on the phone he let me go but claims he had never been notified I was coming. Apparently the foreman had only mentioned it to the day crew. I went home, took a shower, ate breakfast and had to meet the press truck downtown to take us to the starting line by 7:30am to photograph the race for publication.

Photo by Eric Wright

Photo by Eric Wright

Portrait of Elisha while waiting for a new school superintendent to show up.
It was a hot, humid and overcast day with no wind, not ideal for photos. After shooting features at the starting line, the race itself and the finish line celebration it was time go home and take a quick break while the finish line crowd dispersed and my remote finished doing it's thing. After retrieving the camera and praying it worked, I was pleased to see it had worked perfectly. It was then back to the office to process my images and make the movie.

Technical details: The camera was set to take an image in aperture priority every 25 seconds for 999 frames. I had planned on a 10 second interval but learned while setting it up on race day the counter only goes to 999 which wouldn't have been long enough, something I should have found while testing it. The images were shot on the lowest resolution and batch processed in Photoshop then imported to Final Cut Pro and exported as an mpeg movie. The end result is available at:

I learned a lot this summer, had some great opportunities and met some very interesting people in my travels across this great sandbar I call home. My only real complaint this summer is the lack of real news on the cape, which isn't always a bad thing.

Every summer a major story hits the cape whether it is a massive whale stranding or a Kennedy crashing his plane into the ocean, this summer has been the exception.

My first week here Steve Heaslip, the chief photographer, made two predictions for me. First is that I will shoot golf at least once and second that a major storm would hit the Cape before the summer was over.

The last major storm people talk about here is hurricane Bob in 1991 and the infamous Perfect Storm later that year. As of today I have three days left with only remnants of hurricane Katrina and no golf in site.

(Elisha Page is a 2005 graduate of Ohio University. To see a sample of his work, go to his member gallery at:

Related Links:
Page's member gallery

Contents copyright 2022, Do not republish without permission.
Copyright 2022,