|Members log in here with your user name and password to access the your admin page and other special features.
|| SportsShooter.com: News Item: Posted 2013-02-06
The Luau Returns Feb. 27, 2013 to SoCal
Business Practices Highlights Topics
By Sports Shooter staff
The deadline to pre-register for the Sports Shooter Academy Luau is just around the corner.
A day of inspirational and educational presentations from some of the top photographers working today highlights the SSA Luau. Southern California freelance photographer Todd Bigelow's keynote presentation is "The Business of Photography."
"Whenever I speak to students or young photographers, I'm always a bit amazed at how they are beginning their careers with solid technical skills, but very little or no business skills," says Bigelow.
"I was told a long time ago by a respected colleague who had been a freelance magazine photographer that the world of freelance is 80 percent business and 20 percent photography. He was dead on back then, but times have changed even more. Now, I'd say it's 85 percent and 15 percent. No doubt, the 15 percent gets you the jobs, but the 85 percent will determine if you can actually provide for yourself and or your family."
Other speakers on the SSA Luau lineup:
• Lucas Gilman (Colorado-based outdoor/adventure photographer) "Photographing The Great Outdoors"
• Ian Ray (PocketWIzard) "Demystifying High Speed Sync Photography:
• Robert Deutsch & Robert Hanashiro (USA TODAY staff photographers "Lighting Challenge: Big Lights v. Speedlights"
"In keeping with the fun nature of a luau," said workshop founder Robert Hanashiro, "We decided to do a little something different in talking about the importance of lighting. For the 'Big Lights v. Speedlights" session just think: Iron Chef meets location lighting.
"Bob and I will have one hour to set up and shoot a portrait --- Bob using Dynalight strobes while I will be using small speedlights. Hopefully the trash-talking won't get in the way of making some nice photographs!"
The Sports Shooter Academy Luau is open to the public, but to attend you must pre-register.
Bigelow outlined what his 90-minute talk will cover: "I will be touching on a variety of subjects and am putting together a Powerpoint still. I haven't honed it yet, so everything is up for shifting around to some degree. I want to keep it flexible and open to answering all of their questions. That's important, as I don't want to drone on for 75 minutes and give only 15 to their questions. But, I will certainly address topics pertaining to the following and draw from real experiences so it's personal/fun, not dry like reading from a textbook:
• The Evolution of the Profession from staff to freelance and how freelancing has changed in the past decade.
• Contracts: What to expect and what is the norm
• Copyright: Is it important to retain the rights to your images.
• Client Development: On Your Own or Should You work with agencies? Making contacts and nurturing them.
• Licensing: What is Licensing and why is it important? What does it mean to license your work? A look at licensing models (This will be a big portion of it with real life examples)
• Rate Negotiations: When and How to negotiate rates. Understanding that rate structures vary dramatically by field and usage.
• Marketing and Platform Options: Understanding the traffic to your website and leveraging that to market your work.
• Social Media: A look at the good and bad of using SM as part of your marketing and branding.
• Does Saying No to a Job Ever Help?"
The Sports Shooter Academy Luau is sponsored by Samy's Camera and Nikon Professional Services. NPS will be on-site conducting a free clean & check clinic. Samy's Camera will have a mini-store on site with special pricing on selected gear.
Other companies participating in the SSA Luau include: MAC Group, SanDisk, Think Tank Photo, liveBooks and Honl Photo.
"I'm really looking forward to the SSA Luau. It's a great chance to reach out to a talented group of photographers and just give them some of the basic information that will help them going forward."
To pre-egister for the Sports Shooter Academy Luau:
To register for the Sports Shooter Academy Luau:
$20 Full-time college students
Wyndham Irvine - Orange County Airport Hotel
17941 Von Karman Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614
Contents copyright 2018, SportsShooter.com. Do not republish without permission.