Story   Photographer   Editor   Student/Intern   Assistant   Job/Item

SportsShooter.com: The Online Resource for Sports Photography

Contents:
 Front Page
 Member Index
 Latest Headlines
 Special Features
 'Fun Pix'
 Message Board
 Educate Yourself
 Equipment Profiles
 Bookshelf
 my.SportsShooter
 Classified Ads
 Workshop
Contests:
 Monthly Clip Contest
 Annual Contest
 Rules/Info
Newsletter:
 Current Issue
 Back Issues
 Subscribe
Members:
 Members Area
 "The Guide"
 Join
About Us:
 About SportsShooter
 Contact Us
 Terms & Conditions


Sign in:
Members log in here with your user name and password to access the your admin page and other special features.

Name:



Password:







||
SportsShooter.com: Member Message Board

News Freelancers
Marvin Gentry, Photographer
Birmingham | AL | USA | Posted: 6:23 PM on 01.07.17
->> Do any of you who freelance for NEWS whether it be for the larger wire services, local paper or just shoot and then find a customer. Do any of you do video along with still? If so do you use a DSLR or a small camcorder?
 This post is:  Informative (0) | Funny (0) | Huh? (0) | Off Topic (0) | Inappropriate (0) |   Definitions

Andrew Nelles, Photographer
Nashville | TN | usa | Posted: 7:14 PM on 01.07.17
->> I was freelance for around 6 years before my current staff job. I'd say 90% of what I shot was assigned by a client, the remaining 10% were things that I found and then found homes for.

I shot video with DSLRs.
 This post is:  Informative (0) | Funny (0) | Huh? (0) | Off Topic (0) | Inappropriate (0) |   Definitions

Bryan Woolston, Photographer
Louisville | KY | USA | Posted: 1:29 PM on 01.08.17
->> News is my main gig... I started shooting for smaller papers. They want video on EVERY assignment. I bought a small camcorder because it was easier that shooting video on the DSLR; it made post much simpler. Shooting both is possible, but difficult, and both products suffer. As I moved to bigger papers, they would sometimes ask for video, and I was able to shoot it when asked. Some online outlets ask, and pay more if you shoot video... sometimes I do, other times not. Since shooting for the wire services (Reuters, AP, ZUMA) Ive never been asked.

I love making still images, but, shooting video is not that bad. Doing both one the same assignment is difficult. Editors don't understand that, and need to be told. Post processing take more time, but again, when given the time, the finished product is nice. For some outlets, its required, and the capability is a benefit. I like my profession, and am happy to make editors happy.
 This post is:  Informative (1) | Funny (0) | Huh? (0) | Off Topic (0) | Inappropriate (0) |   Definitions

Add your comments...
If you'd like to add your comments to this thread, use this form. You need to be an active (paying) member of SportsShooter.com in order to post messages to the system.

NOTE: If you would like to report a problem you've found within the SportsShooter.com website, please let us know via the 'Contact Us' form, which alerts us immediately. It is not guaranteed that a member of the staff will see your message board post.
Thread Title: News Freelancers
Thread Started By: Marvin Gentry
Message:
Member Login:
Password:




Return to -->
Message Board Main Index
What happened when Tony Gonzalez met Mickey Pfleger? Crazy stuff! ::..